Elizabeth Street Garden
Elizabeth Street Garden (ESG) is an independent, community lead, 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. We are committed to exploring every option available to preserve and protect the Garden and save our much needed Community green space in Little Italy. United by the desire to change the way we save the garden, former members of the Garden’s previous organization, active garden volunteers, and advocates for community gardens came together and formed ESG.
ESG filed their nonprofit Certificate of Incorporation with New York State in October 2016. On January 26 2017, Elizabeth Street Garden Inc. received federal tax-exempt 501(c)(3) determination from the IRS.
Our Mission: To protect & preserve the magic of Elizabeth Street Garden as a public community green space and to determine how NYC Parks & Recreation together with the community can protect this space for generations to enjoy.
The board of directors comprises four voting members.
- Elected mayor of Livingston, New Jersey, in 2006.
- Elected to Livingston Town Council from 2003 to 2006.
- Former Livingston town clerk from 1976 to 2001.
- Active in community affairs since moving to Livingston in 1958.
- Retired to Little Italy in 2007 in home purchased in 1985.
- Former board member of Friends of Elizabeth Street Garden.
- Initial organizer of efforts to preserve Elizabeth Street Garden.
- Initial organizer of programing for Elizabeth Street Garden including on-going program curator for Live Music Sunday events, and Movie Nights.
- Initial organizer and former core volunteer for Friends of Elizabeth Street Garden.
- General manager/caretaker of Elizabeth Street Garden.
- Born and raised New Yorker and long-term resident of Little Italy.
- Poppy King is an entrepreneur in the beauty world who designs, ideates, markets and sells lipsticks.
- Moved to NYC from Melbourne Australia in 2002 and has been living in the Elizabeth St Garden neighborhood for 15 years now.
- She is a published author, renowned speaker and active community member committed to preserving the ESG and has been volunteering as a greeter in the garden for many years.
- Volunteer at Elizabeth Street Garden since 2014
- Founder of ALLOTT, accelerators of urban agriculture
- Farmhand at North Brooklyn Farms, Advocate at Maker Park and Member of Peace Accelerators
- Founded Rooftop Cinema Hong Kong and Positive Posters
- Former board member of ChangeFood
- Currently writing a children's book called 'The Dalai Fama'
- Born in Australia. Raised in Hong Kong. Growing in New York.
Elizabeth Street Garden is a 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to working with the community, CB 2, and the city of New York in efforts to save Elizabeth Street Garden.
Why '.com' ?
We understand that a '.com' web address can have implications of a commercial business. But we assure you that Elizabeth Street Garden is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and has no obligations to any commercial businesses whatsoever.